Below is a set of possible book club discussion questions. A more in-depth study guide is also available below. This guide is created in the OLVS homeschooling curriculum style.
- Jake finally figures out a way to use his gifts to help others. What gifts do you have that could be shared with others?
- Sophie felt she was justified to help Jake cheat in order to expose him to others. Do you think it’s ever right to do wrong to prove a point?
- Why do you think Sophie was so afraid of Jake changing her small town life?
- Bad circumstances for others can lead to positive things – like the tragic drug death making others realize the dangers. Do you have any examples in your life where you learned something from someone else’s tragedy?
- Do you think Jake and Sophie’s parents were right to punish them?
- Everest helps solve the mystery with her keen senses. Has your pet ever done anything like that?
- Jake lets his fame go to his head. Do you think that’s a common problem with instant fame? Is there a way to guard against it?
- Jake learned the hard way what truly was important. How do you stay focused on what’s important in your life?
- At what point did Sophie finally start to see the true Jake?
- Sophie didn’t feel comfortable telling Kate how she felt about Jake. Why? Are there times you struggle to share your feelings with friends?
Click on the link below for the printable study guide.